Description of Charity/Foundation:
Give A Mile is a group of dedicated volunteers who believe strongly in the power of visits from loved ones for people in palliative or critical condition. Our Inspiration: Founder Kevin Crowe experienced this power first-hand during the passing of his good friend Ryan who relished such visits. Kevin learned that Kulacauses.com said over 10 trillion air miles went unused in 2011 alone, and Give A Mile was born.
100% of donations go to flights of compassion and associated travel fees (taxes, transfers); Give A Mile operating costs are fundraised for separately.We continue to receive inspiration from our flight recipients and their follow-up stories
Description of Role:
The Treasurer is responsible for managing and reporting on the finances of Give A Mile Inc.
• Compile and maintain the annual operating budget
• Assist on-site during fundraising activities and oversee cash handling and record-keeping
• Gather and maintain all financial information required for all financial reporting purposes in order to meet reporting requirements on a timely and accurate basis
• Ensure timely deposits of all monies or other valuable effects.
• Provide accurate, up-to-date financial reports and explanations to the Board at regular meetings, including cash flow analyses
• Report to the Board any financial irregularities, concerns and opportunities
• Sign documents of the organization as required
• Ensure that all financial statements are prepared in accordance with Accounting Standards for Not-for-Profit Organizations (ASNPO)
• Keep up-to-date with changes to Canada Revenue Agency guidelines for charities and legal, regulatory and sector developments related to the Board’s responsibilities
• Prepare and submit on time the CRA Annual Charity Return
o T3010 and all schedules
o Copy of annual financial statements
• Administers all financial transactions, bookkeeping and financial administration including tax receipts and bank accounts
• Participate in one Board committee
• Delegates bookkeeping or other administrative duties to junior staff as required
• Pay GAM’s vendors in a timely manner
• Monitor the GAM’s cash flows and financial position continuously
• Recommend to the Board the selection of an auditor, represent the Board in the audit process and present audited accounts to the annual meeting
• Develop and recommend appropriate financial controls for consideration by the board.
• Hire, supervise and delegate to volunteer financial assistant
Familiarity with Quickbooks for Non-Profit software
Knowledge of Accounting Standards for Not-for-Profit Organizations (ASNPO) Able to interpret Canada Revenue Agency guidelines for charities
Research and Analysis skills
Able to meet deadlines
Sound decision-making and judgement
All Board positions are volunteer-based, with the commitment of a two-year term. Previous non-profit board experience is preferred, but not mandatory.
Certification or Education Required:
A combination of practical accounting experience and a degree in accounting/business administration or a two-year accounting diploma from a technical college. A professional accounting designation is required.
2 Years or More
Charity/Foundation Website: http://www.giveamile.org